Tips for Using a Microscope
- Use a chair that provides good back support.
- Sit close to your work surface.
- Remove false fronts and supplies from under the bench work area.
- Avoid leaning on hard edges.
- Pad forearms and edges.
- Keep elbows close by your sides.
- Work with wrists in straight, neutral positions.
- Adjust your chair, workbench, or microscope as needed to maintain an upright head position.
- Elevate, tilt or move the microscope close to the edge of the counter to avoid bending your neck.
- Use adjustable eye-pieces or mount your microscope on a 30° angle stand for easier viewing.
- Keep scopes repaired and clean.
- Spread microscope work throughout the day and between several people, if possible.
- Take breaks. Every 15 minutes, close your eyes or focus on something in the distance. Every 30-60 minutes, get up to stretch and move.
Microscope Ergonomics (PowerPoint) <missing link>